Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Wait, I actually have to study here?

After a very eventful Halloween weekend that encompassed throwing a surprise birthday party, three costumes, and finding the most delicious late night snack food only 2 minutes away from my flat, this week is dedicated to my studies. At Colby, I usually work for at least four hours a day on homework. So far, I've put maybe four hours a week into my school work outside of class. It's not that I'm slacking, but I actually don't have any work to do. However, I have two essays due this week, a presentation next week, and an essay due the following Monday.  Thanks University of Edinburgh for piling it all on at once.

The toughest part about writing essays here is doing research.  Nobody buys books here, and the library only has a limited amount of the books that 300 students need at the same time, so I've had to work at slightly odd times to get the information I need. I'm also nervous about the expectations here.  I'd like to think my research papers are pretty good, but what if the standards are completely different here? Finally, the rules on plagiarism here are so strict! Not that I've ever copy someone's work, but the emphasis put on plagiarism is scary.  Students have to attach a declaration of work to all assignments turned in, and there are major consequences for plagiarizing.  It's also much harder to get work done now because it gets dark SO early.  It started getting dark around 4 today, and when I left class at 5, it felt like it was at least 8 pm. Slightly depressing.

Now that I've blogged, caught up on all of my celebrity gossip, and sufficiently Facebook stalked the majority of my friends, I suppose it's time to stop procrastinating and get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment