Sunday, December 5, 2010

Snow in Edinburgh

After my adventure getting home from Paris last weekend, I hoped that the unexpected snow in Edinburgh would be short lived and removed quickly. Well, I was definitely wrong. It has snowed off and on for the past week, and Scottish students in my classes and flat complex have said that this is the most snow they've ever seen, especially this early in the season.  Snow removal also definitely isn't Edinburgh's strong point. I've read several articles in Scottish newspapers calling the removal, or lack of, a total disgrace. City workers did not clear the streets, shovel the sidewalks, or even salt walking paths, so getting around has been quite difficult.  Edinburgh residents have dealt with the snow in a variety of different ways. I inch along the roads, hoping I won't fall and make a fool of myself, but I've seen several cross country skiers on the roads. Not exactly what I was expecting to see on a busy city street on my walk to class. Although it's stopped snowing for the time being, everything froze, making the city one giant sheet of ice. I appreciate the snowball fights and how pretty the city looks in the snow, but I would have a greater appreciation for a safe walk to class and the grocery store without having to worry about wiping out! I did see some guys out with ice chippers today though so hopefully progress will be made soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment